Thursday, January 30, 2014

Intensity

Life here is incredibly... intense. There's no other way to describe it. For the past two days I woke up ate and went to a three hour Jewish History class immediately followed by a two hour hebrew class. Let me tell you, three hours of history is hard. The subject, starting 2000 years ago, is extremely vigorous and difficult especially when I am surrounded by some of the smartest jewish teens I have ever met, and its pretty awesome. I find myself challenged and intrigued. On Sunday we are going to Tel Gezer, an ancient Canaanite civilization. I have no idea what to expect but nevertheless I'm very excited. Hebrew... Well, given that I have a very rudimentary hebrew basis, getting put in level 2 was a shock to say the least. I'm with kids that have been taking Hebrew for years and are almost fluent. While I sit in my seat looking at the board, so overwhelmed I can't even think straight. But if I try and if I study, I think I can make it. In the past two days I have taught myself Hebrew script writing and tried to learn about 40 different vocab words and their conjugations. By 1:00 it feels like I've had a whole day of school. But we mustn't forget about my core classes. In addition to my Jewish Studies and Hebrew, I take 5 other classes Every Day. I don't finish school until 7:15. That's right, my school day is 11 hours long. Intense. With that much work, it's not surprising that I am exhausted. Completely wiped. So, it's very comforting to know that Shabbat rolls in tomorrow. And Shabbat equals no classes! Tomorrow we are going on our first tiyul (field trip). We're going on an archaeology dig. It will be nice to get off the kibbutz and see more of Israel. On a different note, it's my best friend's birthday today. Her name is Emily but I call her Bunni. We have been going to URJ Camp Eisner together for the past 5 years and she is on the program with me. In case you're interested in checking out her blog, click here. Dig tomorrow, Jerusalem Saturday, Tel Gezer Sunday. I have quite a busy weekend ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment